Savannah Clark Guthrie is an American journalist and lawyer currently working as the co-host of The Today Show on NBC News.
Early Life and Career
Guthrie was born on December 27 1971, in Melbourne, Australia. Her father was stationed there during this time. After returning to the US, the family settled in Tucson, Arizona. She attended the Amphitheater High School where she actively participated in varied extra-curricular activities, including hosting school programs and shows. She then enrolled at the University of Arizona and got an undergraduate journalism degree in 1993.
The career timeline of Guthrie is discussed below:
- Savannah began her broadcasting career in 1993 at KMIZ, an ABC affiliate in Columbia, Missouri. After 2 years she moved to KVOA, an NBC affiliate in Tucson.
- In 2000, she started working for WRC-TV located in Washington DC. She reported on some major news stories such as the attacks of 9/11, the anthrax attacks of 2001, and the attack on The Pentagon. During this period, she also resumed her studies and eventually graduated with a JD Magna Cum Laude from Georgetown University Law Center.
- Guthrie then began working as a litigation associate at the law firm ‘Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld’ where she specialized in defense of white collar crimes.
- In 2004, she joined CourtTV as their national trial correspondent and reported on many high-profile legal trials and hearings.
- In 2007, Savannah started working for NBC News as a correspondent and legal analyst and provided coverage of the 2008 vice-presidential race of Sarah Palin. She later became the NBC News White House correspondent and a contributor to all properties of NBC News. She also worked on NBC Nightly News as a substitute anchor and on NBC News as an anchor. Between 2010 and 2011, she worked as the co-anchor of the show ‘The Daily Rundown’ telecast on MSNBC. She then became the co-host of the 3rd hour of ‘Today’ along with Al Roker and Natalie Morales as well as a substitute main co-host, news anchor, and the chief legal analyst for all platforms of NBC. In 2012, she replaced Ann Curry as Today’s co-anchor and stopped being the chief legal analyst and the 3rd hour co-host.
Personal Life and Trivia
- Guthrie married Mark Orchard, a BBC News presenter, in 2005. They met each other when she was covering the Michael Jackson trial as a CourtTV reporter. The couple divorced in 2009.
- In 2010, Savannah started dating Michael Feldman, a communications and political consultant for the Democratic Party. They became engaged in 2013 and got married in 2014. She was 4 months pregnant at the time of marriage. She gave birth to a daughter five months later. The family lives in Lower Manhattan’s SoHo neighborhood. On June 7, 2016, she announced that she was pregnant with another child. While the daughter’s name is Vale, the second child is a boy.
- In 2015, the 1. 78 meter tall Savannah made an appearance as herself in the movie ‘Sharknado 3: Oh Hell No!’
- For her work with domestic violence victims, she was given the ‘International Academy of Trial Lawyers’ Student Advocacy’ award.
- Guthrie scored the first rank on the Arizona Bar Exam. She is thus a member of the bars of Arizona and the District of Columbia. She was also a member of the ‘Order of the Coif.’
Savannah Guthrie – Salary and Net Worth
Her annual salary is $500 thousand and her net worth is about $2 million.