The past year (2015) saw six women billionaires die and the fortunes of another 31 falling off the ratings of billionaire league.
Richest women in the world – 2016
- Liliane Bettencourt: She is the world’s richest woman and also the 11th richest person on the planet. Her net worth is valued at $36.1 billion. She is heiress to the global beauty L’Oreal, she is the also the largest shareholder of the company.
- Alice Walton: She is valued at $32.3 billion but has gone down by $7.1 billion from last year as a result of fall in the price of Wal-Mart stock. She is also the 16th richest person in the world.
- Jacqueline Mars: Her net worth is $23.4 billion. She plays an active role as the investor and owner of Mars Inc. company, the chocolate giant that was formed by her grandfather, Frank C. Mars.
- Maria Franca Fissolo: At 99, she is the fourth richest woman in the world with a net worth of $22.1 billion. She inherited her fortune from her husband, Michele Ferrero, the founder of Ferrero SpA Group, known for popular food brands like Nutella and Ferrero Rocher chocolates.
- Susanne Klatten. She had been benefiting from her mother’s fortune from BMW, a fact that only came to light when her mother died last year. She is valued at $18.5 billion.
- Anne Cox Chambers: Valued at $17 billion, she has major stocks in Cox Enterprises Company that deals with television, cables, newspapers, and radio.
- Laurene Powell Jobs: The owner of Emerson Collective stands out among the richest in America. She is valued at $16.7 billion. She is the widow of Steve Jobs and the largest shareholder in Walt Disney Company Ltd.
- Abigail Johnson: She has a net worth of $13.1 billion. She stands among the riches women and the most powerful women in the world. She is the president and CEO of Fidelity Investments.
- Charlene de Carvalho-Heineken – She is the owner of the third biggest brewing company in the world, , Heineken International. Her net worth is $12.3 billion.
- Iris Fontbona and Massimiliana Landini Aleotti: She gets her major earning from mining although her late husband was also a billionaire. Her wealth stands at $10.1 billion. Iris shares her net worth with Massimiliana Landini Aleotti, who is the owner of the pharma company, Menarini.