Mika Emilie Leonia Brzezinski/Mika Brzezinski is an American television host, author, and journalist currently serving as the co-host of the show ‘Morning Joe’ with Joe Scarborough. The show airs on MSNBC on weekdays.
Early Life and Education
- Brzezinski was born on 2nd May 1967 in NYC. Her mother Emilie Anna Benešová is a sculptor and her father Zbigniew Brzezinski was a policy expert and National Security Advisor to former President Jimmy Carter.
- Mika attended The Madeira School. She then went to Georgetown University as a junior. Later, she transferred to Williams College in Williamstown, MA and graduated in 1989 with English as major.
- Brzezinski’s career in journalism began in 1990 at ABC where she worked as an assistant on its news program “World News This Morning.”
- A year later Mika joined Tribune-owned Fox-affiliate WTIC-TV/WTIC-DT as an editor of features and assignments. This station was located in Hartford, Connecticut. She then became a general assignments reporter.
- In 1992, Mika started working for CBS affiliate WFSB-TV/WFSB-DT. This station was also in Hartford. She was promoted as the weekday morning anchor in 1995.
- In 1997, Brzezinski began working as an anchor for CBS network news show called “Up to the Minute.” She also served as a correspondent for CBS News.
- Mika joined MSNBC in 2000 and served as the co-anchor of a weekday noon program called HomePage.
- Mika rejoined CBS News as a correspondent in 2001. She achieved national fame for her coverage as the ‘ground zero’ reporter after the terrorist attacks of 9/11. Brzezinski was doing live reporting when the World Trade Center’s South Tower collapsed. Mika’s job profile increased at CBS and she worked as a correspondent, segment anchor, and fill-in anchor, as well as a contributor for the popular shows CBS Sunday Morning and 60 Minutes. She was fired by the network.
- Mika moved to MSNBC in 2007, where she did varied jobs like substituting on ‘MSNBC Live limited,’ providing primetime newsbreaks, providing evening news updates for the show ‘Up To The Minute,’ occasional reporting for NBC Nightly News, and occasional hosting of ‘Weekend Today.’
- She now works as the co-host of the show ‘Morning Joe.’
Ex Husband and Children
- Mika married WABC-TV news reporter James Patrick Hoffer in the year 1993. The couple has two lovely daughters named Emilie and Carlie.
- The family also has a pet dog named Cajun.
Mike Brzezinski – Divorce
The divorce with James Patrick Hoffer came through in 2016, they were married for the past 23 years. The divorce was peacefully and done amicably. Mika dated and got engaged to co-anchor Joe Scarborough, in the year 2017.
- Mika’s mother Emilie is the grandniece of Czechoslovakia’s former President Edvard Beneš.
- Her brother Mark Brzezinski is a US diplomat who has been the American Ambassador to Sweden since 2011.
- Mika has publicly voiced her protest against trivial journalism. She refused to report on the 2007 release of Paris Hilton; she was against reporting on Levi Johnston and Lindsay Lohan in 2010; and stated that Sarah Palin’s 2011 reaction to the President’s speech about Tucson shooting incident was not newsworthy.
- The 1.65-meter-tall Brzezinski has authored 2 books, namely, “All Things at Once,” which was published in 2010, and the 2011 book ‘Knowing Your Value: Women, Money and Getting What You’re Worth.
Mika Brzezinski – Salary and Net Worth
Mika’s salary is about $2 million per year. Her estimated net worth is $12 million.